Braised Greek Chicken Thighs
- 3 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (bone-in with skin for most flavor)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 15 oz marinated artichoke hearts (plus 1/4 cup brine from jar)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 head garlic, each clove smashed
- 6 oz green or Kalamata olives
- 1 lemon, cut into large slices
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat a large skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium-high heat. Add oil, then chicken, skin-side down, in a single layer. Cook, turning, until browned, 12-15 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and artichokes and cook until parts become golden brown, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in olives, oregano, rosemary and thyme. Mix until combined. Add chicken broth, reserved artichoke brine and lemon slices, scraping and browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Return your chicken to the mixture in the pan. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer approximately 10-12 minutes, until sauce thickens and internal temp of chicken reaches 165 F.
Use leftovers in a wrap or salad for lunch - top with feta cheese and sliced pears. All herbs are dried unless otherwise noted. Fresh herbs and spices can be used instead for a more zestful flavor! When using fresh herbs and spices, you may wish to double the stated amount.