Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut or kabocha squash
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Chop onion, garlic, and ginger. Peel and cut squash into ½ inch pieces.
- Heat 1 TBS oil in a medium soup pot. Sauté onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute. Add turmeric and curry powder and mix well. Add squash and broth, and mix. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a blender or use a hand-held emmersion blender and blend with coconut milk. If using a traditional blender, make sure you blend in batches filling blender only half full. Start on low speed, so hot soup does not erupt and burn you. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Thin with a little broth if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cilantro and serve.