Creamy Cucumber Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups cucumbers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or organic chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt optional
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 1 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and lemon juice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 3¾ cups cucumber slices, broth, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and cook at a gentle simmer until the cucumbers are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender. Add avocado and parsley; blend on low speed until smooth.
- Pour into a serving bowl and stir in yogurt. Serve the soup warm or refrigerate and serve it chilled. Just before serving, garnish with the remaining cucumber slices and more chopped parsley, if desired.
Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.