BYG Lentil Soup
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled ad cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 quart vegetable stock (organic brand or homemade)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Put the oil in a large soup stockpot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and saute until soft, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf, wine/vinegar, stock, cinnamon, and lentils and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a medium-low or so that the mixtures bubbles gently, cover partially and cook until the lentils are tender, 20-30 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and spinach and cook another 1-2 minutes. Taste, adjust salt or liquid (add if it feels too thick) and remove the bay leaf.
- Ready to serve. Freezes well.