Mediterranean Lentil Salad
Servings: 6 people
- 1 cup dried lentils preferably green lentils rinsed well
- 1 clove garlic peeled and smashed
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced small
- 1 small cucumber seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives rinsed and sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 2 oz organic feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Combine the lentils, garlic, oregano, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick in a saucepan and cover with water or broth by 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the lentils thoroughly and discard the whole spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, and salt together.
- Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette, then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper, cucumber, olives, mint, and parsley and combine, then do a FASS check—and season as needed with another pinch of salt, a few grinds of pepper, or lemon juice. Serve with the feta cheese sprinkled over the top.