Spice Baked Apples
- 12 dried dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp organic butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 4-5 small apples use a combination of granny smith & honey crisp
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, combine the dates, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and process the mixture into a thick paste.
- Melt butter or coconut oil and add to paste.
- Core the apples, leaving the very bottom intact to form a cup to hold the filling.
- Using a small spoon or butter knife, stuff the center of each apple with the date filling.
- Sprinkle the top of the apple with a light dust of cinnamon and cardamom.
- Set the apples into an 8-inch square baking pan or 9-inch pie plate. Pour the liquid into the bottom of the pan with the apples. Loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil, being careful not to let the foil touch the tops of the apples.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until an apple can be pierced through easily with the tip of a paring knife, the skin is wrinkled, and the top of the date filling is dark brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.