Pesto Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey (dark meat is best)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce (see below)
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp milk of your choice
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic granules)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
To Make the Pesto:
- Remove stems from fresh basil leaves.
- Place all ingredients except extra virgin olive oil in a high-speed food processor and pulse until ingredients are minced and a thick paste is formed.
- Turn food processor to ‘low’ and slowly add olive oil until mixture is smooth.
To Make the Meatballs:
- Prepare pesto sauce as outlined above and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until well combined.
- Using moistened hands, form meatballs with turkey mixture. Line in a single layer on a large glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through (165 internal temperature). Serve over zoodles (zucchini noodles) and top with remaining pesto sauce (warmed) and fresh basil, if desired.
The pesto can still be prepared without nutritional yeast, however nutritional yeast will add lots of additional nutrients and flavor! Store any leftover pesto sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator (up to 3 days) or freezer (up to 3 months).