Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped approx 2 lbs)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews, raw and unsalted, soaked
- 4+ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- smoked paprika, to garnish optional
- Pour boiling hot water over cashews in a glass bowl and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes (up to 8 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the cauliflower with olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl to lightly coat. Spread cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and bake until the cauliflower is tender and begins to brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the cauliflower is resting, drain cashews and place in a large blender. Add 2 cups of vegetable broth and blend on high speed until cashews are creamy.
- Add roasted cauliflower and remaining vegetable broth, onion and garlic to the blender.* Blend the roasted cauliflower mixture until smooth.
- Transfer everything to a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add cumin, coriander and thyme. Heat soup over medium-high heat until simmering. You may add some additional water or broth to the consistency of your liking. Reduce heat, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes before enjoying. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with smoked paprika if desired (Regular paprika works great, too!)
*Note: If your blender cannot fit the remaining ingredients then transfer the creamy cashews to a large soup pot or dutch oven first, and then blend the cauliflower, broth, onions and garlic in a separate batch.