Lentil Minestrone Soup
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp ghee (or avocado oil, olive oil)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and diced into approx 1/2" pieces we suggest Yukon Gold
- 1 15-oz can red kidney or white cannellini
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 3/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- fresh parsley and lemon juice, to garnish optional
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery and saute until soft, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, and spices (parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, bay leaf). Lower heat, cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Add diced potatoes, cover and allow to gently simmer an additional 15 minutes as potatoes soften.
- Add the beans and diced zucchini. Partially cover the pot and allow it to simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, peas and spinach and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Garnishes well with fresh lemon juice, olive oil and/or fresh parsley.