Turmeric Lentil Soup
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil, avocado oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 tsp pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- fresh parsley, to garnish, optional
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery and saute until soft, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth and spices (ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger). Lower heat, cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and spinach and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Serves well over baked sweet potatoes or steamed rice.
This recipe stores well covered in the refrigerator, up to 4 days. It will thicken over time as the lentils absorb more liquid. Add additional water or broth when reheating, if desired. Leftovers also freeze well.