The BYG Method has its roots in the ancient systems of medicine from the East as well as modern nutritional science more familiar to people in the West. By combining Eastern and Western wellness theory, we are able to identify three main elements that are at play in digesting the foods you consume. Although we have all elements working together to assist in digestion, there are great benefits to understanding the dominant element of your digestive system.
A predominantly earth digestion tends to have a slow metabolism and can struggle with weight issues. Your sometimes intense cravings for sweet, salty and oily foods does not help and may leaving you feeling bloated. With too much earth, you might find you feel a bit waterlogged at times with swollen hands and feet. A tendency towards post nasal drip or sinus congestion can worsen in the colder months and your joints may feel the effects of barometric pressure changes.
What you need is a spark! Your mantra should be eat less and move more. Intermittent Fasting— or sticking to an 8-10 hour eating window along with a 14-16 hour fasting time is very helpful to balance the earth digestion. Your body will thank you if you eat more foods that are naturally detoxifying and fewer foods like dairy products and high-fat foods. Try a light walk after dinner to spark the digestive juices as well as a good distraction from dessert or evening snacking. Aim at going to bed by 10 and waking up with the sun. To get a daily metabolism boost, exercise in the morning before you take breakfast. Enjoy a moderate amount of morning joe for some extra pep in your step!
Tendencies for Earth
- Larger frame
- Slower metabolism
- Fatty liver
- Sluggish digestive system
- Emotional eater
- Cravings for sweet, salty
and oily foods
- Low priority for exercise
- Sinus congestion, post nasal drip, allergies
- Swollen extremities
Keys to Balance Earth
Tips & Tricks
- Eat less and move more.
- Avoid mucus-forming foods such as dairy products.
- Consume foods and spices that provide a little heat (i.e. ginger, garlic).
- Avoid cold or frozen foods and beverages.
- Reduce intake of all nuts and seeds.
- Take a light walk after a meal to spark metabolism.
- Do not snack from dinner to breakfast.
- Avoid naps; perhaps try a 10-20 minute meditation instead.