Butternut Squash and Sweet Sausage Soup
Category: Soup & Salad
Total Time: 60 mins
- 1 Large butternut squash (halved, seeds removed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb cumble sweet sausage (refer to BYG Recipe Library)
- 1 large sweet onion (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced )
- 1 tbsp fresh sage (chopped )
- 1 tsp marjoram (chopped )
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- coat the squash halves with 1 tsp olive oil
- season the inside with salt and pepper and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- bake until very tender, about 40-45 minutes
- put aside to cool
- in a large saucepan over med-high heat, add the remaining oil and add the onions until caramelized (about 6 mins)
- Add the crumbled sausage and cook until meat is golden brown.
- Add the garlic, sage, and marjoram, and cook for 1 minute
- Add the cooled squash and chicken broth, stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using either a hand-help immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender, puree the soup.
- When a smooth texture is accomplished, add lemon juice and adjust seasoning to taste
- Stir and serve