Butternut Squash Soup
Category: Soup & Salad
Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 medium butternut or kabocha squash
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Chop onion, garlic and ginger. Peel and cut squash into ½ inch pieces.
- Heat 1 TBS oil in medium soup pot. Sauté onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute. Add turmeric and curry powder and mix well. Add squash and broth, and mix. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place in blender and blend with coconut milk. Make sure you blend in batches filling blender only half full. Start on low speed, so hot soup does not erupt and burn you. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Thin with a little broth if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add cilantro and serve.