Category: Main Dish, Soup & Salad, Vegetarian
Total Time: 45 mins
- 1 cup basmati rice (washed and soaked)
- 1 cup whole green mung beans (washed and soaked)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans (chopped)
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 2 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (finely chopped or grated)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- Soak mung beans and rice for 6 hours or overnight. Strain them from the water
- Wash carrots, and cut in your favorite way
- In a saucepan, warm the ghee or oil over medium heat.
- Add the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and ginger, and sauté for one to two minutes
- Add rice and mung beans and sauté for 1 minute
- Then add the carrots, green beans and zucchini.
- Stir for another 3 minutes
- Then add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Once the kitchari has come to a boil, add the salt, coriander, turmeric, and reduce heat to medium-low
- Cover with the lid slightly tilted to let the steam out and cook until everything is tender (approx. 30 minutes).
- If you need to add more water to prevent scorching, please do so
- The consistency should be that of a stick stew.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and add salt to taste.