Dolmas (Cabbage Rolls)
Category: Main Dish, Small Plates, Vegetarian
Total Time: 60 mins
- 1 head green cabbage
- 2 cups vegetable broth ((organic brand or homemade))
- 1 cup brown basmati rice or quinoa
- olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups navy beans
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped, with juice
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch each of paprika, cayenne, sea salt and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2-3 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp agave
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Boil cabbage in water 4 minutes, remove, and set aside.
- Add stock to a pot over high heat and boil. Add rice or quinoa, reduce to simmer, and cover for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly mist a heavy pan with olive oil, heat to medium, add onions. Sauté until caramelized, then add garbanzo beans and cook another 10 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently and adding vegetable stock if liquid is needed.
- Add cooked rice/quinoa, ¼ cup veggie stock, tomatoes and juice from tomatoes, stir, and cook another 10 minutes at medium, or until liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to low, add remaining ingredients and 1 cup water, and mix well.
- Cover and cook 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- On a large plate, spread 1 large cabbage leaf, place 2 to 3 tbsp of filling, and fold the cabbage leaf around the filling (top, side, bottom, side), making a rectangle. Repeat with remaining filling.
- Place stuffed cabbage in glass baking dish and pour enough water ½ lemon and salt over them so you have enough liquid in the bottom of the dish to steam the cabbage.
- Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Check the level of liquid occasionally, and add more water if it all gets absorbed.
- Remove from heat and serve warm, using a slotted spoon.