Magic Mineral Broth
Category: Soup & Salad, Vegetarian
- 6 unpeeled carrots, cut into thirds
- 2 unpeeled yellow onions, cut into chunks
- 1 leek, white and green parts, cut into thirds
- 1 bunch celery, including the heart, cut into thirds
- 4 unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 3 unpeeled sweet potatoes, quartered
- 5 cloves unpeeled garlic, halved
- 1/2 bunch fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- 1 8-inch strip of kombu
- 12 black peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 quarts cold, filtered water
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse all of the vegetables well, including the kombu.
- In a 12-quart or larger stockpot, combine the carrots, onions, leek, celery, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, garlic, parsley, kombu, peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaves. Fill the pot with the water to 2 inches below the rim, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Remove the lid, decrease the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for at least 2 hours. As the broth simmers, some of the water will evaporate; add more if the vegetables begin to peek out. Simmer until the full richness of the vegetables can be tasted.
- Strain the broth through a large, coarse-mesh sieve (remember to use a heat-resistant container underneath), then add salt to taste.
- Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating or freezing.