Oil-Free Refried Beans
Category: Side Dish, Vegetarian
Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Drain the pinto beans over a large bowl to reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid.
Additionally, separate 1/4 cup of whole Pinto beans and set aside.
- Combine the rest of the pinto beans, the 1/4 cup liquid, garlic cloves, cumin,
onion powder and lime juice to a blender. Blend on high for about 20-30
seconds until begins to smooth (you will want it to retain some texture). Set
bean mixture aside.
- Add the vegetable broth to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When
liquid begins to steam add the diced onion, tomato and jalapeno peppers.
Reduce heat and simmer approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pinto bean mixture and the reserved whole beans to saucepan and
stir to combine. Add water, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Enjoy
immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container up to 7