Pesto Turkey Meatballs
Category: Main Dish
Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 lb ground turkey (dark meat is best)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce (see below)
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp milk of your choice
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic granules)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
To Make the Pesto:
- Remove stems from fresh basil leaves.
- Place all ingredients except extra virgin olive oil in a high-speed food processor and pulse until ingredients are minced and a thick paste is formed.
- Turn food processor to ‘low’ and slowly add olive oil until mixture is smooth.
To Make the Meatballs:
- Prepare pesto sauce as outlined above and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until well combined.
- Using moistened hands, form meatballs with turkey mixture. Line in a single layer on a large glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through (165 internal temperature). Serve over zoodles (zucchini noodles) and top with remaining pesto sauce (warmed) and fresh basil, if desired.