Roasted Beet Salad
Category: Small Plates, Soup & Salad, Vegetarian
Total Time: 75 mins
- 2 beet roots, washed
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup cranberries or cherries
- 4 ounces goat or feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 tbsp walnuts (chopped)
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic (large)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (finely ground)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil with peel on and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 1 hour or until tender and cool down.
- While the beets are roasting, make the dressing by combining vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- While the beets are still warm, peel and cut each one in half and then each half into 4 to 6 wedges and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss them with half of the vinaigrette (warm beets absorb more vinaigrette) Please be aware the beet juice will stain what it touches so using parchment paper to slice the beets can help!
- Combine arugula and spinach in a large salad bowl and toss the other half of the dressing to combine.
- Top with beets, goat cheese, dried fruit, and walnuts and serve.